Want to be successful with your company’s social media efforts? Then know your audience and target messages to them.
Understanding your customer base is important when determining which social media outlets to use. Do you sell more products or services overall to men or women? 2015 statistics from Pew Research Center show that Facebook overall is a top social media outlet to explore and that women invest more time in social media than men.
- 77% of women use Facebook versus 66% of men
- 44% of women use Pinterest versus 16% of men
- 31% of women use Instagram versus 24% of men
- 25% of men use Twitter versus 21% of women
- 26% of men use LinkedIn versus 25% of women
While Houzz wasn’t measured by the Pew Research Group, this is another important social media site for our industry. Started in 2009, Houzz has seen incredible growth for industries including architecture, home improvement, interior design, decorating and landscape design. More than 40 million homeowners, home design enthusiasts and home improvement professional are involved with Houzz — an audience your business can tap into.
Tips for Posting Social Media Messages
For contractors, it’s important to understand that most social media messages can be posted in advance. This means you can sit down and schedule out Facebook or Twitter posts for several weeks ahead, making it far easier than trying to remember to make postings on a regular basis.
When scheduling out your messages, consider following these suggestions from HubSpot noting the most successful times of day to schedule your messages:
- Noon to 1pm on weekends
- 3pm to 4pm on Wednesdays
- 1pm to 4pm on Thursdays and Fridays
- 7:30am to 8:30am, noon, and 5pm to 6pm on Tuesday, Wednesdays and Thursdays
- 10am to 11am on Tuesdays
- Noon to 3pm on Mondays through Fridays
- 5pm to 6pm on Wednesdays
- 2am to 4am and evening hours daily
- 5pm on Fridays
- 8pm to 11pm on Saturdays
Any time day and night, Mondays through Thursdays, with the exception of 3pm to 4pm